cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the agent need to be able to retrieve a serial number

ncarmichael
Rising Star II

We mainly use Dell laptops and for the most part JC agent successfully retrieves their serial number and reports them to the JC console.

This is important to use as it is part of our company's security qualifications

How does this work "under the hood"? I would like to work out if a particular dependency is missing as a couple of laptops are not reporting this (and it maybe an indication of other potential issues).

Dell's own utilities are happily reporting this so I am left scratching my head.

2 REPLIES 2

saifshaik
JumpCloud Employee
JumpCloud Employee

Hello Michael! System Insights is the feature which captures the telemetry of your device fleet like serial#, disk encryption status, uptime, network interface details etc. It gets installed alongside the JumpCloud Agent. Review Get Started: System Insights KB for more info. Typically if SI fails to capture the data, uninstallation and reinstallation of the Agent should reinstall the SI feature as well and correct the telemetry posture.

Have reinstalled it and the most likely error remains "time=2024-09-24 15:27:41.796095+01:00 PID=6468 level=error msg=systemreport.reporter: error collecting data error=exit status 1"

What doesn't make sense is if I query the opensource app you use "osquery", it returns my serial number

PS C:\Program Files\JumpCloud> .\jcosqueryi
Using a virtual database. Need help, type '.help'
osquery> SELECT CPU_type, hardware_vendor, hardware_model, hardware_serial FROM system_info;
+----------+-----------------+----------------+-----------------+
| cpu_type | hardware_vendor | hardware_model | hardware_serial |
| x86_64   | Dell Inc.       | XPS 14 9440    | REDACTED        |
osquery>

Neil