cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Disclaimer
JUMPCLOUD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, AND LIABILITIES OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE, SCRIPTS, REPOSITORIES, AND APIS. JUMPCLOUD IS NOT REQUIRED TO SUPPORT ANY SUCH THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS AND ALL RISKS RELATED TO THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. PLEASE ALSO REVIEW THE JUMPCLOUD TOS.

Patch Dashboard - Part 1 Gaining Visibility

shawnsong
Rising Star III
Rising Star III

Hi Folks,

It's me again. I've been working on this side project for quite some time. Recently, I was inspired by @urvashi this project made a huge breakthrough - I'll delve into that later, but first and foremost, a million thanks go to her!

Let’s dive straight in 😀.

Get Started

Download the notebook here

System Requirements

• Jupyter Notebook with Python's Conda distribution - recommended all-in-one package Anaconda.
  • The Jupyter notebook should work on all desktop OSes.

Note

• Currently, the Patch Dashboard is only in scope for Windows, MacOS, and Ubuntu Desktop (with UI).
  • The script will compare the patch level information, extracted from the osVersionDetail attribute (thanks Urvashi 😉) with the latest patch level published by the respective OS manufacturer:
  • As the post title suggests, this is V1. I understand there may be aspects I've overlooked, so please feel free to share your comments below. I appreciate your feedback in advance!

A Quick Manual

• On Jupyter Notebook, go to “kernel”, make sure the Conda kernel is selected.
  • Input the read-only API key as instructed:shawnsong_0-1690877536860.png

• Run each cell till step 2.
  • On Step 2, fill in a path if you wanted to export the raw data to a CSV file:shawnsong_1-1690877561941.png

• Run the rest of the cells. 

You should have the dashboards look like these:shawnsong_2-1690877584072.pngshawnsong_3-1690877595497.pngshawnsong_4-1690877610506.png

P.S. If you have exported the CSV in step 2, you can bind these outdated systems to the patch policies (or create "aggressive" patch policies from our templates ) to force a "spring cleaning".

For MacOS, you can also use this method to force an update via the MDM cmd in the case of ultra-emergency 

That’s all for now. I hope you find it useful (and don’t forget to hit the kudos button 👇). Stay tuned for part 2!

[Update 14-08-2023] Part 2 is here.

1 REPLY 1

urvashi
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Excellent! Glad the community's questions help build stuff like this! 😄 

You Might Like

New to the site? Take a look at these additional resources:

Community created scripts:

Our new Radical Admin blog:

Keep up with Product News:

Read our community guidelines

Ready to join us? You can register here.