cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Disclaimer
JUMPCLOUD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, AND LIABILITIES OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE, SCRIPTS, REPOSITORIES, AND APIS. JUMPCLOUD IS NOT REQUIRED TO SUPPORT ANY SUCH THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS AND ALL RISKS RELATED TO THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. PLEASE ALSO REVIEW THE JUMPCLOUD TOS.

Restart Nudge for Macs

urvashi
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, 

Reposing this from a conversation in the JumpCloud Slack Lounge. 

"I have a question, but I'm not sure the best place to ask. We want to somehow and gently force our Macs to restart once a week. Our users have a tendency to just close their laptops, but the uptime is causing issues. I'd like to force a restart weekly, but a command doesn't seem completely ideal for this." 

The wonderful @TomBridge and @JoeRogers recommended this tool:  https://github.com/SecondSonConsulting/Renew

A couple more notes from the conversation thread: 

• Deploy the Renew PKG using Software Management or Command to all macbooks
  • Create a Mobile Config in Apple Policy section and apply it your device group
  • SwiftDialog will also need to be deployed with software management
  • SwiftDialog can be used in conjunction with Installomator to notify users
  • The imazing Profile Editor has a template for Renew.

Final response from the asker: "Make a profile. Deploy the profile. Deploy Swift Dialog. Deploy Renew. And we should be good to go."

Happy Restarting, folks!

2 REPLIES 2

rlyons
Rising Star III

Is there a way to do this as a "background" admin user and not the active logged in user? We have some multi-user machines with fast user switching, and they will NOT restart without me physically entering an admin login to restart. This is preventing software, security, and application updates since the machines cannot restart unattended.

urvashi
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Reposting a recommendation from the Slack Lounge from @TomBridge

Personally, I'd kill those login sessions, they're likely not getting used.You could script that and run it with Commands.

You Might Like

New to the site? Take a look at these additional resources:

Community created scripts:

Our new Radical Admin blog:

Keep up with Product News:

Read our community guidelines

Ready to join us? You can register here.