cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our Favorite Things โ€” Holiday Edition ๐ŸŽ

BScott
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

December is knocking on the door (that's tomorrow, what?!) and with that, let's talk holidays. There are so many things going on during the month! Do you celebrate a holiday that involves exchanging gifts?

If so, tell us what's on your wish list this year so we can all take a moment to consider new things we hadn't thought of. (Tech or non-tech!)

Like someone's post? Give them a kudo!
Did someone's answer help you? Please mark it as a solution.

9 REPLIES 9

krichard
Novitiate III
Spoiler
Good times with friends.

BScott
Community Manager

This past year has been all about concerts, so I'm trying to figure out what next year will be. Definitely learning more toward experiences over stuff.

Although there's an 8-ft โ˜ƒ๏ธ I'm eyeing at Costco for my front yard.

kelly
Novitiate III

Shameless promotion: I did the MacVoices Gift Guide this year and offered up some fun items. I have done it for a few years now, and I always try to pick some things that are a bit less obvious (and less expensive!) but still fun.

Part One

Part Two

And you don't have to watch the video, each page has links out to what we all picked so just skip to the bottom. ๐Ÿ™‚ There's one there that I'm going to repeat here, and it's the Heroclip because I love mine so much and I just keep finding ways to use mine aside from my initial purpose of hanging my purse on the side of the table when I'm out somewhere and don't want to just stick it on the chair behind me.

I think the perfect gift is something someone wants/needs, but wouldn't buy for themselves. Since tech is where I live, and that's not the case for most of my recipients, I can make some strategic quality of life updates that aren't expensive and generally don't require a lot of tech support ๐Ÿ˜€ Examples:

• Wireless phone chargers to save messing with cables! TwelveSouth built a qi charger into a picture frame which is super cool looking. Or upgrade someone to a MagSafe puck or puck with a stand/base for the place they charge most often.
  • Longer/sturdier/convertible cables for charging things that aren't wireless yet, or a higher powered wall plug to charge things faster than that iPhone 5s wall wart they're still using.
  • Cable wraps to keep things organized. Somebody near you makes them, hashtag Buy Local.
  • These come in different sizes and I have the medium for the tiny miscellaneous items I need to wrangle around my desk (microSD cards, SIM ejector, tiny adapters, etc).
  • I have these barrettes and I love them! They hold my hair back and I can use them to cut the tape on Amazon boxes. They've held up for years, don't get tape goo on them, and the TSA hasn't cared once in all the years I've worn them through airport security. These are my favorites until Leatherman starts making EDC hair clips.

I am very excited to see other ideas!

BScott
Community Manager

I'm thinking of this power bank and charger.

BScott_4-1669920542100.png

BScott_3-1669920454910.png

rlyons
Rising Star III

Alright, you asked; so here are links:

Did I forget any?

BScott
Community Manager

@rlyons I think that was most of it. And @kelly there's nothing stopping you from making a second & third comment. Nothing at all.

JuergenKlaassen
Rising Star III
Rising Star III

Here we go (Apple-ish stuff).

I'm always running around with 2 MacBooks, an iPad and accessories and I got tired of carrying multiple chargers, so this one fixed it for me.

JuergenKlaassen_0-1670026935458.jpeg

Then the laptop screen isn't enough most of the time while not working from home. Therefore I'm having a portable screen with me. I have an older version, this is the one I'd recommend for Mac-users:

Screenshot 2022-12-03 at 08.26.25.png

Oh yeah! Iโ€™m looking at an Anker charger thatโ€™s similar for the same reason.

Speaking of secondary monitors, you all seen the OrangePi 14" IPS display that's only around $60?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/orange-pi-portable-monitor