cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADMU Windows News and Interests Feed Breaks

LTI
Novitiate I

I have recently migrated a dozen Windows 10 Pro machines off of AD using the ADMU.  On every single one of them the News and Interests Feeds broke, see image below.  I can reset edge and it works until the next logon.  I can also replace the associated HKCU registry key with one from a working profile and it works until the next logon.  If I login under a previously created local profile (Non JumpCloud) on the PC it works fine.  For now I have disabled the feature for all users globally through a powershell command.  Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

News and Interests.png

3 REPLIES 3

jworkman
JumpCloud Employee
JumpCloud Employee

Hey @LTI,

I bet Windows Feeds is a windows universal platform (UWP) application. I've noticed something similar with the UWP printing dialogue box and have not been able to solve for it. Is this the "BingNews" app?

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers|Format-TableGet-AppXPackage -AllUsers|Format-Table

At a high level, when migrating a user account one item that the ADMU attempts to do is copy the to-be-migrated user's UWP apps and re-install them on the new local user account, I have tried previously to reset individual UWP apps using the process described here.

Let me know if this is indeed a UWP app, there is likely a fix here but I haven't found it yet. 

It was part of the KB5001391 and KB5003214 updates. What I have noticed is that in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Feeds\FeedRepositoryState the FeedsNextRefreshFeedUrl value doesn't get populated.

jworkman
JumpCloud Employee
JumpCloud Employee

Hey @LTI,

I'm not positive this will work yet. At when I tried to convert an account and use widgets in Windows 11, I found that I had to sign in as a Microsoft account in order to even use widgets. As I understand (and I may be wrong here) but signing in as a Microsoft Account is not quite compatible with JumpCloud/ I was asked to update my account username when doing so. 

According to this blog, Microsoft is introducing an update which should allow folks to use widgets without the need to sign in as a Microsoft Account user. It sounds like this could solve the issue you've described and the release should be out next month. Do you want to check in next month and see if this solves the issue at hand? 

Best,
Joe

You Might Like

New to the site? Take a look at these additional resources:

Community created scripts

Keep up with Product News

Read our community guidelines

Ready to join us? You can register here.