cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Disclaimer
JUMPCLOUD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, AND LIABILITIES OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE, SCRIPTS, REPOSITORIES, AND APIS. JUMPCLOUD IS NOT REQUIRED TO SUPPORT ANY SUCH THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS AND ALL RISKS RELATED TO THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. PLEASE ALSO REVIEW THE JUMPCLOUD TOS.

[PowerShell] How to scan for vulnerable applications? "JC - Get Vulnerabilities for an installed Application.ps1" is here for you.

JuergenKlaassen
Rising Star III
Rising Star III

Hi Community Folks

Over the festive season I pondered a bit more about the possibility to scan a JumpCloud managed environment for application vulnerabilities.
The National Vulnerability Database by NIST provides an API to make queries against it and you'll need an API-key for that if you want to make use of this script. Get one here, no worries: it's free
I made experiments with direct REST-API-calls via Powershell, but wasn't satisfied as the usage isn't that straightforward actually - or at least not without putting much more time into it first. 

What I found then is a fairly new PowerShell Module for the NVD written by Dan Gough (big kudos for that!) and you can find the module here - you'll need that as well when using this script. 

That said, you're requirements are the following:

1. JumpCloud API-Key (Read-only will do)
  2. This script
  3. NVD API Key
  4. Posh-CVE PowerShell Module
  5. JumpCloud PowerShell Module

Now you have all the ingredients already and your good to go. 

Screen Recording 2024-01-17 at 16.28.21.gif

What the script will do is:

• Prompt for an application name, i.e. 'Edge', 'Chrome' or 'Microsoft Outlook'
  • it then iterates through all systems by using 'Get-JCStystemApp' and 'Get-JCSystem'
  • it makes a keyword search against the NVD DB using the PoshCVE-module 
  • it creates a table with all found vulnerabilities
  • ... and finally writes the results into a CSV file for further consumption. 

You can modify the columns to your needs and add/remove as needed.

if ($vulnerabilities) {
            Write-Output "`tVulnerabilities: $($vulnerabilities.Count) $($vulnerabilities.CVE)"
            foreach ($vuln in $vulnerabilities) {
                $vulnerabilityData += [PSCustomObject]@{
                    CVE = $vuln.CVE
                    Score = $vuln.CVSSv3Score
                    Severity = $vuln.CVSSv3Severity
                    Description = $vuln.Description
                    OS = $os
                    SystemID = $systemId
                    Hostname = $hostname
                }

Is it failsafe? 
No, it's not. I did a bunch of tests and they were pretty satisfying so far, but yes, you will have false positives etc. 
It's a good start to get a picture and more actionable visibility. For example you can make use of this when there are Zero-Days in the wild like this one for Google Chrome.

1 REPLY 1

JCDavid
Iron II
Iron II

There were plenty of false positives with OpenVAS using an Alienvault appliance a few years back. Nothing out of the ordinary IMHO.