Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User life cycle management with a customised HRIS integration

shawnsong
Rising Star II
Rising Star II

Hi Folks,

As we are offering a slew of integrations with the most popular HRIS platforms, I wanted to sprinkle a bit icing on the cake - by recommending a few workflows in the spectrum of user life cycle mgmt, from my years of IT admin's experience. 

It won't be a full blown step-by-step how-to guide in order to stay neutral and "generic" - I hope it can be a pratical reference when you are designing the onboarding / offboarding workflows.   

Considerations

Here are a few key points for making the integration successful:

• It's recommended to use HRIS' data as the single-source-of-truth.
  • Implement clear responsibilities, segregation of duty, and processes to govern the data integrity with accountabilities among various teams - Requirement / HR, IT, InfoSec teams etc.
  • Automation only works when there is process in place. 

Let's take a look on a high level of what I mean of above:

shawnsong_0-1673431218917.png

In this diagram, JC is a platform operated by a process (can be automated) for processing the data came from the HRIS - a trusted sole source of truth. 

What do you need

• An workflow automation tool, like:
  • Or custom scripts - ideally run on serverless functions like:
    • AWS Lambda Functions
    • Azure Functions

How Does It Work

In a nutshell, you can use the automation tool / script to fetch the data from the HRIS -> call the API endpoints as shown on the diagram below -> users are managed. 

Onboarding - and here are the list of APIs I'm referring on the diagram:

shawnsong_0-1673429892966.png

POST /systemuser

POST /usergroups/{group_id}/members

POST /bulk/userstate

systems/{System_ID}/associations

Updating 

shawnsong_1-1673429965587.png

PUT /systemuser

POST /usergroups/{group_id}/members

Off-boarding

shawnsong_2-1673429997189.png

POST /bulk/userstate

DELETE /systemuser

Last but not least

The whole thing might looks hypothetical - in the context that every company has a different take on such workflows, the combinations of possibility simply just limitless. I'm not trying solve every situation out there but hopefully this post will at least inspire an idea or two - for making IT admin's life slightly easier. 

0 REPLIES 0