cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Almost a blunder

Ben_Garrison
JumpCloud Alumni
JumpCloud Alumni

I manage a silly dedicated game server box for me and my buddies to host games on. We kept getting hundreds of auth requests daily so we decided to change our RDP port. My buddy said he was going to do this and he successfully changed the RDP port. He however, forgot to open the firewall ports. haha

Good thing we had the JC agent installed.. I was able to issue a powershell command to open the RDP port. 

New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName 'RDP Port' -Profile 'Private' -Direction Inbound -Action Allow -Protocol TCP -LocalPort port-number

6 REPLIES 6

steven
Rising Star III

Oof... Let me tell you lol. The number of times I've accidentally closed port 22 or accidentally blocked our IP then had to either use the JC agent or the AWS console to get back in is far too many. It's a really good thing we don't look at bash history when determining raises ๐Ÿ˜…

RyanBailey
Novitiate III

What's the game-of-the-moment @BenGarrison?!

I have a Docker host I'll spin up a container on occasionally to host a dedicated server when it makes sense for the squad. Makes cleanup a breeze once the game fizzles out and we move on!

Been meaning to explore Docker. But we currently play Squad

Docker is really really nice. Some of our developers use it, but I'd like to get more of our devs using it.

I'll let you know what I find out. Any suggestions on where to start?

I started with just hosting a site with a database. So spinning up an Apache2/httpd container and a MariaDB container. The Docker Hub is a good resource for finding the configuration options for containers!

You Might Like

New to the site? Take a look at these additional resources:

Community created scripts

Keep up with Product News

Read our community guidelines

Ready to join us? You can register here.