cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our Favorite Things โ€” Holiday 2023 Edition ๐ŸŽ

BScott
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Last year we made a list of our favorite things, and we thought "Why not do it again this year?" So here we are!

It's time to tell us what's on your tech wish list this year OR what you've really enjoyed recently and think more people should know about it / put it on their own lists. Or you can do both!

I've got some techy and non-tech items on my list so far.

1. Anker USB-C adapters
A lot of my mice still have receivers that are older style USB 3.0, which means they won't work on any new MB pros. Nor will my thumb drives. This adapter helps.

BScott_0-1701884071481.jpeg

2. Basesailor USB to USB-C adaptor
Next up is the reverse adaptor, which is helpful for alllll of the portable batteries I have that only have USB charging ports. Meanwhile, my iPad and newer phones have USB-C chargers. As does my car. And since I'm not buying a new car anytime soon (it's only 3 years old), adapters it is!

BScott_1-1701884560181.jpeg

3. Dumpster fire plushy
Absolutely non-tech and I don't care. It's cute and I just love it. Yes, I still buy stuffies even at my age. They bring me joy, just like LEGO does.

BScott_2-1701884783264.jpeg

4. LEGO Nintendo or PacMan or Atari
I don't know about you, but all of these bring back nostalgic memories for me. We had a 2600 when I was a kid, and I loved playing PacMan, Asteroids, Frogger, and Donkey Kong. Centipede was cool, but it was MUCH better in the arcade when you had the roller ball control to go over the top with. I was a young adult when I got a classic Nintendo, and that was pretty sweet as well. SO MANY hours playing Super Mario.

BScott_3-1701884962898.png

BScott_4-1701885046679.png

BScott_5-1701885105566.png

If I think of more I'll come back and add them to the list.

Now it's your turn. What are you enjoying or looking forward to this year?

Like someone's post? Give them a kudo!
Did someone's answer help you? Please mark it as a solution.

9 REPLIES 9

rlyons
Rising Star III

I already bought myself a present, a new set of kicks. 

I also prefer this model of USBc adapter just because I don't like the leverage the solid ones put on the USB ports.

And after 20 years, I'm due for a new "work" pen. My old one has gone through five workplaces.

BScott
Community Manager

Oh that one is nice as well! I haven't had any issues so far with the solid ones, but I'm not putting anything super heavy in them. Biggest is a thumb drive and they don't weigh much. And since my computer is usually sitting on a stand, they don't get bumped. During travel, though, your version is probably much safer!

I like (and have) the adapters @rlyons mentioned because on the side of my laptop, those ports are REALLY close together, so if I want to plug in a device and a power cord, those are the only way I can do both!

BScott
Community Manager

Strange, because mine both fit no real problems.

IMG_5014.jpg

rlyons
Rising Star III

I have thumb drives (looking at YOU SanDisk Cruiser Glide) that are wide enough that it would not fit in that pic alongside the thunderbolt cable. 

TomBridge
Rising Star II
Rising Star II

I'm going deep on Homekit stuff this year! My Favorite things are:

• Starling Home Hub for Nest Products - Making Nest work with HomeKit, without this box, just isn't possible. Use this.
  • Nanoleaf bulbs and Christmas lights - nothing says cozy house like great lights.
  • HomePod mini - a great speaker and intercom solution, with HomeKit, and a privacy bent.

BScott
Community Manager

Still waiting for a video..... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Speaking of awesome LED christmas lights... Tru-Tone lights are incredible. The only LED fairy lights that look like actual incandescent.

kelly
Novitiate III

I'll repeat my gift mantra, a great gift is something someone will use but might not know/think to buy for themselves. Below are some things I'm giving (or have given) as gifts. All of them are things I own myself. Here goes!

Bigger Car Charger: This one will even charge a laptop! Get your people off those old/slow cables and car chargers. Nowadays when you plug something in to a charger with more power, things just Charge Faster. Lots of people get a new phone WAY more often than a new car charger. If you're looking to upgrade chargers that are not in the car, I have fallen in love with this gizmo for its flexibility and compactness. It will charge an Apple Watch and a phone or AirPods at the same time off a USB-C cable with a decent power block attached. Did I mention it's less than ten bucks? I have one on my desk and one that lives in my backpack. You know, in case. 

Home automation is another place it can be hard to just get started so I have ideas there too. First, I suggest a smart bulb starter kit (because an automation so you never walk into a dark house sounds super boring until you start using it). Second, a smart outlet so you can easily (and automatically) turn on/off something, like getting the coffeemaker going before you are. If you have some things already but not all of it works together, get a Hubitat home hub, they talk to All The Things and are HomeKit compatible (not yet certified but working on it). My Hubitat is one of the most reliable things I have on my network, and with the number of things I have on my network, that is saying something. 

A gift I also like to give is my knowledge/time. I have a friend who wants to learn to crochet, so I am going to spend time teaching them. I've also given my parents The Gift Of Re-cabling All That Nonsense, and planned trips/events with people so we can hang out and do something fun. That's a gift that always fits and doesn't just turn into the worst kind of present, A Thing To Dust. 

Of course I'm adding one Star Wars item, because hi, I'm Kelly. ๐Ÿ‘‹ Rocklove is an awesome jewelry purveyor, and they have a wonderful collection of (official!) Star Wars inspired jewelry. Earrings, rings, and necklaces for everyone and as jewelry goes, not terribly expensive. They also have collections for other fandoms if you have people on your list who like Trek or D&D.