cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obsidian vs Joplin

BenGarrison
JumpCloud Alumni
JumpCloud Alumni

What are your thoughts and opinions? Do you use anything else?  I create a blog on this, and would like to open the conversation on what you think.

Read article

5 REPLIES 5

RyanBailey
Novitiate III

Great article! I've been looking for a note taking tool to move away from OneNote and going to give Obsidian a shot. Do you use it as a daily planner/to do or just general note taking? Any templates? The paid sync is kind of a bummer, but will take a peek at the community git method.
The real gem of this article was the D&D hat tip! Would love to get some details about the campaign you're running if you feel like sharing! Not sure if there is an off-topic area here or if Slack would make sense.

Hey thanks for giving a read.  I always feel like sharing what kind of campaign I am running. It's basically a Homebrew world called Thelios. The gods have been displaced into relics across the world therefore resulting in a world that is left to it's own without any divine direction. 

I will do a video or a blog on the plugins that I use. But essentially there are some MUST haves
Fantasy Calendar can be used for D&D and real life too
Admonition
Stat Block
Dice Roller
Git Plugin
and a few others.

The git plugin is amazing. I will probably have some more blogs or videos on the different plugins that I use.

Dataview and Git Plugin are my top two at the moment. Dataview allows me to make queries within my notes based on metadata. It's super fancy

ngaibut
Novitiate I

Thanks for introducing me to Joplin as well! I've used Obsidian for almost two years now as a Zettelkasten and I think they really took off once they opened up their plugin ecosystem. They have really come a long way. The graph view is super nice and I really should go back to my notes and really start linking things together.

As you mentioned, I am a bit bummed that they are closed source. The silver lining is that at least I know all the files are just plain text markdown files that I can bring with me wherever I go. Thanks for the great hat tip on the Obsidian Git plugin too!

Yeah I agreed. I touch on that a little bit that even though it's not open-source the fact that their plugin community is so deep and active is promising. And also, it's just Markdown files and folders that can literally be used anywhere. 

You Might Like

New to the site? Take a look at these additional resources:

Community created scripts

Keep up with Product News

Read our community guidelines

Ready to join us? You can register here.