cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving Partial Admin Rights To Users

blee145
Novitiate I

My company recently deployed jumpcloud for our endpoints and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way through jumpcloud to give partial admin rights to my users.  I do not want my users to reach out to me each time they need the admin password to add/remove programs, update a program, or even I had one that could not remove a shortcut on their desktop without admin privileges. Is there a way to give partial admin privileges through jumpcloud so they can do basic tasks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jworkman
JumpCloud Employee
JumpCloud Employee

There's not just one answer here, MDM is shaking things up in a sense. But the fact of the matter is that once you give someone admin permission, they can do MANY other things on a system. 

There is no concept of "partial admin privileges" in JumpCloud or other management solutions. Other vendors do have a service portal where non-admin users can click and execute commands/ policies to install software. That's probably the closest thing to what you are looking for here and you are correct, there is no user initiated service portal within JumpCloud at this time. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jworkman
JumpCloud Employee
JumpCloud Employee

Hey @blee145,

We wrote this a while back, it's not the most amazing way to do this but if you are willing to KEEP a PowerShell terminal running on your system you can do this with a script:
https://thejumpcloud.github.io/support/2022/02/10/Grant-Admin-Rights.html

There's no help JumpCloud support can provide with that specific script, it's something provided as-is. In my testing it works well enough for quick things like installing apps and reverts someone's permissions after 'x' time

Thank you for getting back to me.  That script will definitely come in handy.  But as to permanently giving partial admin privileges to a user (say to install a program) and restricting other admin required operations is not possible through jumpcloud?

jworkman
JumpCloud Employee
JumpCloud Employee

There's not just one answer here, MDM is shaking things up in a sense. But the fact of the matter is that once you give someone admin permission, they can do MANY other things on a system. 

There is no concept of "partial admin privileges" in JumpCloud or other management solutions. Other vendors do have a service portal where non-admin users can click and execute commands/ policies to install software. That's probably the closest thing to what you are looking for here and you are correct, there is no user initiated service portal within JumpCloud at this time. 

You Might Like

New to the site? Take a look at these additional resources:

Community created scripts

Keep up with Product News

Read our community guidelines

Ready to join us? You can register here.