cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone else using Unifi in their networks?

dagryph
Novitiate III

We've been using (even before I got there) Unifi routers, switches, and wifi access points at both of our local offices. It's been great for the most part, and I can manage the networks from home. VPN to each of the offices using JumpCloud's radius was really easy to set up and get working too. We have problems with the routers (UDM Pros) every once in a while, so I usually just restart the router remotely using unifi.ui.com which takes down the network for a few minutes. Has anyone else seen this? Do we just need to wipe the UDMPro and start fresh? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NVergin
Rising Star II

Is the local network at the office affected when this happens or just console access?   Are you able to connect via SSH or is it totally unreachable?   If you can SSH in, have you tried to restart the console that way?    It doesn't solve the underlying issue but may help in restoring access to the console.   I agree that it's not a great idea to repeatedly be pulling the power on the device to reboot it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

NVergin
Rising Star II

We have been using Ubiquiti UniFi equipment and I also run it personally.  It's generally been rock solid for us.  We have a UDM Pro and I have not had any issues with it.  I have not needed to reboot it at all.   We use it not only for network management but also to leverage Protect capabilities.

Can you describe the types of problems you have been experiencing?

Usually the console becomes unreachable (unifi.ui.com and locally via internal ip address) so that office usually unplugs it and plugs it back in to restart it. Trying to get them to stop doing that, since that may be corrupting files. Usually that's the main problem since I'm remote.

NVergin
Rising Star II

Is the local network at the office affected when this happens or just console access?   Are you able to connect via SSH or is it totally unreachable?   If you can SSH in, have you tried to restart the console that way?    It doesn't solve the underlying issue but may help in restoring access to the console.   I agree that it's not a great idea to repeatedly be pulling the power on the device to reboot it.

Usually just console access. SSH access when turned on, I can restart the network container without affecting office internet access. Not a high priority at the moment since it still works until I need to change something. Thanks!

What if you set the routers to schedule a restart weekly? I stood up a bunch of Unifi systems when I was consulting and found that they behaved better when restarted. But, ultimately, I replaced nearly all of them because UCK was awful if my clients didn't have USG's managing the network (double-NAT is not a friend). The UCKs kept dying. I couldn't reach the console and no amount of restarts or rebuilds would work. I think I replaced every UCK I had out there along with new SD cards. I grew so tired of rebuilding those  networks. Sigh.

The earlier CloudKeys definitely had some issues and were very susceptible to corruption from power issues and MicroSD cards dying.  I had to rebuild them a time or two as well and that is not a great proposition to be faced with.  I haven't had any issues since upgrading to the CloudKey Gen2 Plus.   That model has been rock solid for me.  Since the new UDM's have merged the CloudKey and Security Gateway functionality into a single unit they are also much more stable and less prone to corruption.

Agreed. Even at home, I use a UDM Pro, but with a pfsense in front of it for DNS and other services that aren't as easy to come by in the UDMP itself without podman and other trickery.

Restarting on a schedule seems like it might help, at least until we rebuild the UDMP fresh. I haven't seen an easy way via the UI to do this, would a cron job work? Definitely open to suggestions!