cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADMU Collate Powershell

bgarrison
Novitiate II

I am working off this collate script on the ADMU Github. The script runs and downloads the .json files as expected. The error comes during the collation step of the script. Line 56 throws an error:

ConvertFrom-Json : Invalid JSON primitive: .
At C:\Users\BenjaminGarrison\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Scripts\admu_collate.ps1:56 char:74
+ ...  Get-Content -Raw $File.FullName -Encoding unicode | ConvertFrom-Json
+                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [ConvertFrom-Json], ArgumentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ConvertFromJsonCommand

It creates an empty CSV file. Since it's downloading from Github, I am guessing there might be an issue with the encoding and therefore throwing this error. Has anyone been able to successfully use this script?  I know this was maintained by Brad Stevens and he is no longer at JC. Not sure if Joe Workman is still around though.

2 REPLIES 2

bgarrison
Novitiate II

I changed the line

$combinedjson += Get-Content -Raw $File.FullName -Encoding unicode | ConvertFrom-Json

To the following:

$combinedjson += Get-Content -Raw $File.FullName | ConvertFrom-Json

And it executed without errors. I am guessing the Unicode encoding was adding some hidden characters to filename. If anyone else has a different solution, please let me know

jworkman
JumpCloud Employee
JumpCloud Employee

Thanks for this, Long story short there was an encoding issue with the previous version of the PowerShellForGitHub module. Now that the module has been updated, @bgarrison is right and the encoding part is no longer needed. 

We had this queued up for a pull request and that just went out today with ADMU version 2.0.7